Saturday, August 30, 2008

Coming Clean

Alright, I'm just going to put this out there. The hole in my tire, a picture of which you can see below, quickly became a 6 inch gash. And because there are no bike shops from Denver to Oklahoma City, and because Walmart bike tires are 3 inches too big, I got a ride. Yes. I got a ride. About 100 miles into Oklahoma City. I thought I would be kind of angry about it, but I feel pretty at ease. I tried to do everything I could not to, but I was completely out of options. I'm fine with it.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

gotta do what you gotta do buddy. Im proud of you!
(mom on the 7th week of kindergarten)

Anonymous said...

hey, i mentioned your situation to our biker friend this AM, and he suggested you try Mr. Tuffy. here's a link to a description: http://www.bikepro.com/products/tubes/tubes-tuffy.html

you may already be familiar with it, but basically, it is a polyurethane tire liner, and it sounds like it can really help avoid some flats.

don't sweat the ride. clearly, it was your best option. i'm guessing that years from now it will be the experience of biking across country that will stand out in your mind. i'm sure your road is filled with many bumps and surprises, but seems to be part of it. plus, you're the only person i know that has done this (and i know a plethora of personas), so you've got that going for you.